Can you explain the concern or fact that the 'End of History and the Last Woman' is trying to express?
The original post is HERE. There are many issues. A few in short for those who don’t want to real the whole post:
- 1. Less opportunities for women and for equal rights
- 2. Sub-replacement fertility / loss of economic and social growth
- 3. Crime and unrest increases in areas with more men than women
- 4. Men in wealthier countries “poach” women from poor ones
- Men end up “buying” or bidding for eligible women
- More women are forced into prostitution or marriage
- The buying / selling / marrying / rape of young women and female children
- 5. Homosexual women, those who coose not to have sex and discrimination
1. From a sociologists perspective, women are already considered a minority “subordinate” group due to their status world wide compared to that of males. (the more dominant group, men, would be the majority group because men have “greater power, privileges and social status.”) If the numbers of females born compared to that of males continues to drop this will further segregate women, making their voices smaller and fewer. Women who have an education are also less likely to have children or marry at all- and if they do they do so later. This could be seen as a threat for the men who want to buy and sell women and so they may try and stop women from recieving a well rounded education and being independant.
2. Less women also means less children of either gender to help an aging population. Countries who have growing populations have increased life expectancy, growth of wealth and human development. Without those things women in poorer countries will only become poorer and more segregated.
3. Gender bias can broadly impact a society, and it is estimated that by 2020 there could be more than 35 million young “surplus males” in China and 25 million in India. Evidence exists for a link between sex ratios and violence. In a society with an artificial shortage of women, a combination of surplus of males and increased upward mobility of females results in accumulation of unmarried, lower-class males, who tend to be violence-prone. In the recent decades both in China and in India, regions with highest sex-selection rates experienced crime waves. A steep rise in rapes due to complete unavaliablity or options relating to sex and marriage for men- especially in countries where rape isn’t treated as a crime but as ‘destruction of a fathers property’, or in countries that condone honour killings, or punish rape victims is a horrid thought.
4. Shortage of females also has the effect of driving human trafficking and mail-order bride phenomena. There are reports of women from Vietnam, Myanmar, and North Korea systematically trafficked to mainland China and Taiwan and sold into forced marriages. If these needs even with slavery can not be met in the countries themselves they may continue and take international sex slavery to a new level. Countries like Russia are considered to have a suprlus of females, as well as a bad reputation for sex trafficking and slavery of the lowe class. Many countries that have a ‘daughter defieciet’ are countries which still have forced/arracnged marriages and where loved daughters are still bartered away. If the ‘value’ of a female was to rise very substancially due to a shortage it is highly unlikely that this practice will end- forcing women to continue to be bought, sold and traded.
It is becoming more common in CHina that if a man cannot find a woman to marry in his peer group, perhaps he will find greater opportunity to marry a girl of a younger generation. It is not ucommon for a man to be up to 35 years older than his bride. When you take into account sex slavery and how popular ‘mail order brides’ are, this is very worrying. Many countries have very low ages for women to be able to be married and to be legally obligated to have sex with thier husbands. With such shortages this is unlikley to change.
5. In many of the countries listed, homosexuality is a crime or is looked down upon. If there is a shortage of woman and it’s a womens ‘job’ to her country to produce children and marry, homosexual discrimination for lesbians can only rise. They will be resented for being selfish, criminal and not helping their country. I honestly forsee violence against lesbians increasing, as well as the amount of ‘corrective rape’. I beleive this will also apply to women who choose not to have sex, give birth or marry. Again, this may play into women not being given an education, health care and equal rights so that way they can not be independant and make those choices for themselves.